Sheriffs Fútbol Club is the first free competitive soccer program in the East Bay, California. We are part of the Alameda County Sheriff's Office's Community Capitals Policing initiative. Our mission is to ensure every child has an opportunity to achieve their potential and goals through sport. Our USSF Licensed coaches provide top-level instruction and coaching to youth who would normally be excluded by the standard pay-to-play model.
We believe sport is transformational. Athletes are taught to test their limits, time management, how to develop connections and bonds, and skills that prepare them for life on and off the field. Our program works with parents to improve the future of the children it serves.
Sheriffs FC is based in the Ashland, Cherryland, and San Lorenzo area. We are funded by donations made to the Alameda County Sheriff’s nonprofit Deputy Sheriffs’ Activities League (DSAL). Funds cover registration, coaching, and tournament fees, as well as uniforms and other expenses that would otherwise be a barrier to entry for many children.
Alameda County’s unincorporated communities are our priority, but any child may request a tryout and children from all backgrounds are welcome. We believe the non-transactional nature of Sheriff’s FC is a large part of what makes our club effective and a positive environment for everyone involved.
DSAL was founded in 2004 by Alameda County Sheriff’s Sergeant (now Captain) Marty Neideffer. DSAL was founded to offer pro-social activities for kids and youth in Ashland and Cherryland.
At that time, there were very few positive options for recreation or activities for kids after school. As we connected with youth and families, we realized the need to address deeper issues, such as unemployment, a lack of investment in the unincorporated areas of Alameda County, and social and political disconnection.
DSAL’s mission in a larger framework of social equity, community-led economic empowerment, and creative place-making - creating a profound change in how law enforcement serves the community.
This work is backed up both by feedback from the kids and families we work with, and by research. A number of studies have shown that kids who participate in quality afterschool programming, are more likely to stay in school, and avoid becoming involved in crime. Neighborhoods with higher mutual trust have been linked with lower rates of depression and homicide.
We are working to help make the neighborhoods we serve places where people can thrive.
The Community Capitals Framework is a way of evaluating as well as strengthening communities, by presenting seven kinds of capital vital to maintaining a healthy, vibrant community with a robust economy:
- A community’s environment
- Ethnic population and traditions
- The skills and abilities of residents
- Connections among people
- The ability to influence standards
- Investment of financial resource
- Supportive infrastructure
Sheriffs FC Age Groups
- Teams formed in age group for kids born 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 925-219-7028 for more information
- Tryouts for players not affiliated with other NorCal Premier clubs are available upon request
- Futsal Academy tryouts are available year round
- Two to three days per week of soccer year round
- Two week break in June and December & one week break during Thanksgiving week
Games & Tournament Schedule
- Summer & Fall tournaments (varies by team and level)
- NorCal Premier League & Cup games - Fall
- NorCal Premier League games - Spring
- U.S. Futsal Regionals and U.S. Futsal Nationals
- All players who are selected for our programs pay no costs. Our program is fully funded, including traditional registration fees, coaching fees, tournament fees, uniforms, etc.
- *Players must maintain Sheriffs FC scholastic standards and take part in community volunteerism